July 16, 2012

Vintage Sewing Kit

You know when you were a child, your parents would share something funny about you with friends and relatives?  Well, in my case it was about how I used to bend the needles in the sewing class at the primary school.  I must admit nothing much has changed since then as I still have poor sewing skills and definitely I still bend the needles, hehehe!  But finally it does not stop me from having my sewing kit always ready.  I decoupaged a nice box for my sewing materials with a 1950's look on the lid.  Here it is:


The ladies belong to different old sewing patterns of the 50's.  This decoupage project was made following the more traditional procedure we use in the workshop.  To read the standard step by step, please click Here.


I added also an image of an old sewing machine, a mannequin bust, buttons and other embellisments.  




The interior of the box has an old advertisement and a stripe of polka dots.



Then all the writings (Mc Calls, Singer, Couture, etc) was done with alphabet clear stamps and black ink.

  

In the front of the box I glued some victorian sewing items such as scissors and threads, and also a real old button.


To simulate an aged-worn look I painted a black border with acrylic paint around the box.  This is how the tobacco box looked before:


 

I made this decoupage project following the more traditional procedure we use in the workshop.  To see the standard step by step, please click Here.


Although I am not very good at sewing, I definitely love the kit box and when I see it, I feel like bending more needles.  Is cute right?   Thank you very much for reading us, I hope you like this project and will try it yourself. 

Every week we have the honor and pleasure to participate and share our projects in awesome parties, please visit them and see what talented artists and crafters are creating.  They are not in a particular order, just from the oldest till the newest I started participating:

Monday:   
Brag Monday @ The graphics Fairy  
Vintage style link party @ Debbiedoo's 
Market yourself @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff  
Link party @ The Girl Creative 
Making Monday marvelous @ C.R.A.F.T.  
Boggieboard Cottage @ Masterpiece Monday 
Mod Mix Monday @ Mod Vintage Life  
Meet me Monday @ You're Talking Too Much
Calling All Crafters Monday @ All Things Fee  
CraftOmaniac Monday @ Craft O Maniac 
More the Merrier Monday @ DIY Home Sweet Home  
Make-it-Yourself Monday @ An Original belle 
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Under 300 Followers Blog Hop @ Pinkapotamus  
The Cure for the Common monday @  Lines Across
Craft and Tell @ Cherished Bliss
Mom's Monday Mingle @ The Naptime Review
Made with love @ Colours Dekor 
Tuesday:
Get your craft on @ Today'screative blog 
Knick of Time tuesday @ Knick of Time 
Tell it to me Tuesday @ Creatively Living 
Tutorials & Tips Link Party @ Home Stories A2Z  
Cowgirl up Linky Party @ Cedar Hill Ranch 
Tuesday’s Treasures @ My UnCommon Slice of Suburbia
Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday @ Kammy's Korner 
Be inspired link party @ Elizabeth & Co
Coastal Charm @ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday 
Power of Paint Party @ Domestically Speaking 
Take the Time to Challenge @ Raising 4 Princesses 
Turning the Daunting into the Do-Able @ Project Queen
One project at a Time @ A Bowl Full of Lemons
Linking Pary @ Passionately Artistic
Take a look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee crafts 
Open Call Tuesdays @ Salt Tree
Show me what you got @ Our Delightful Home 
Wednesday:
Wow us Wednesdays @ Savvysouthern style 
Primp your stuff Wednesday @ Primp
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm 
Share the love @ http://verymerryvintagestyle.blogspot.com
It's a Party @ DIY by Design 
Whatever goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts 
What is it Wednesday @ http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com
Whatever you want Wednesday @ Free Pretty Things for You
Wicked Awesome Wednesday @ Handy man, crafty woman 
Show & Share @ Southern Lovely 
Show and Tell @ SNAP 
It's a Party @ CreativePrincess
Wildly Original Round Up @ I Gotta Create
Waste Not want Not Wednesday @ Pretty Shabby UK 
What We Wore and Made Wednesdays @ Rae Gun Ramblings
Time for a Party @ Fine Craft Guild
Wednesdays Adorned from Above Blog Hop @ Adorned from Above 
Thursday:
Catch as Catch Can @ http://www.myrepurposedlife.net
Open House Party @ No MinimalistHere
Vintage Inspiration @ Common Ground 
Hookin' up with @ House of Hepworths
Time Travel Thrusday @ Brambleberry Cottage 
20 Below Thrusday @ Cristinas Adventures
Home and Garden Thrusday @ A Delightsome Life 
Made you Look @ Maid in a Day 
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From my front porch to yours 
Show off your stuff party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Friday:
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest 
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now 
Inspirational Friday @ At the picket Fence 
Do something Crafty @ See Vanessa Craft
Friday feature @ Redoux Interiors 
Once upon a Weekend @ Family Ever After
Friday Fun Party @ Craftionary 
Finished Lit and Laundry for Friday @ Lit and Laundry
Feature yourself Friday @ Finger Prints on the Fridge 
Look at Me I'm so Crafty @  Fun to Craft
It's a Hodgepodge Friday @ It's a Hodgepodge life 
Friday Flair @ WhipperBerry
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff& Nonsense 
Simply Link Party @ SimplyDesigning
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage   
Happy Hour Friday @ Happy Hour Projects 
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Rustic Restorations Weekend Linky Party @ Homespun Happenings  
Feture Friday Linky Party @ Blissful and Domestic
Garden Fun & Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted In Thyme
Saturday:
Spotlight Saturday @ Classy Clutter 
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different act Normal
Site Nite special @  Funky Junk Interiors 
Get schooled Saturday @ Too much time on my hands
Scrappy Saturday @ CandaceCreations
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Check me out Saturday @ Iam only 1 Woman 
Serenity Saturday @ - Serenity You
Saturday Seven Party @ Positively Splendid 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday @ Six Sisters' Stuff
Saturday Showcase @ Bowdabra Blog 
Sunday:
What's Your Sunday's Best! @ My 1929 Charmer 
Weekend features @ Sisters of the Wild West
Simply Klassic Sunday @ Simply Klassic Home 
Sundae Scoop @ I (Heart)Nap Time
DIY Project Parade @ DIY showoff 
The Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table andDreaming 
Creative Bloggers's Party & Hop @ Homemaker on a Dime
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things 
Sunday Round Up @ Heather & Kayla 

Have a wonderful and creative week,
  
Erika

38 comments:

  1. Erika, once again I just love what you did. I'm always drawn to the 50's and 60's images and this is perfect for sewing notions. I should give it a try. I just recently collected more notions at a saturday garage sale find. I have previously found a whole box full but the box was an ugly yellow plastic thing. Your box is much more fitting!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I love vintage-y things so this is lovely. I'm stopping by from a blog hop and am a new follower, I would love if you came to say hi and followed me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a super cute sewing box! Love your creativity:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! That is AMAZING!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh.. That is simply gorgeous... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The box looks so pretty and unique. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! I bet you had so much fun putting that together. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea! Great job. (Do you mind if I copy it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhhh - pure sweetness!

    NORTHERN COTTAGE {http://www.NorthernCottage.net}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea - you really transformed that box!

    Visiting from Very Merry Vintage and am a new follower!

    Ashleigh @ rusticanthology.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those ladies look so smart on the top of your box. Wish I had a waistline like that! Great transformation

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would LOVE to have that box! As a lover of vintage and vintage sewing patterns it's just perfect.

    Visiting from Very Merry Vintage...I'd love to have you stop by my blog too at http://serendipityhandmade.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great box--love those illustrations. Thanks for linking to STL Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful job. I love this. I have a Blog Hop, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/surf-spray-and-wednesdays-adorned-from.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't that the cutest?!! Love it....gets us thinking about the box of vintage patterns we have in the basement...hmmmmm....what projects can we come up with ~ now that you inspired us? oh....here we go!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your cute little box!! :) :) Happy weekend to you! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came over from Rustic Restorations to see your sewing kit. It turned out so well I almost want to use my sewing collectibles and create something similar, but that would mean I would feel forced to begin sewing again! :>)

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun box! Even if you don't know how to sew, this will give you SOME inspiration! Patsy from
    HeARTworks and
    papemelroti

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very pretty! I love your stuff! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a difference...my sister would drool over this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes VERY cute! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my favorite one yet! Love the vintage sewing images.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Erika, I love your darling sewing box. You gave it such a vintage feel. It is very creative. Thanks for sharing it with us. Happy to have found you. Now a new follower.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Fun! Love the 50s graphics! Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love these old pattern graphics, my mom sewed so I remember all of these! thanks for linking up to Vintage Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that's so beautiful! I want to have one, too!! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful sewing box! And I too have poor sewing skills.. but I am working on it.. maybe a prettier box would help!
    Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo party~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this idea. My sister loves to sew and her birthday is coming up. This would make a wonderful gift. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Perfect! Absolutely beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh how pretty! I love the vintage feel!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So awesome! I love to sew, and love vintage patterns, and made it into a gorgeous sewing box! I'm drooling right now - so want one! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best - you helped to make it a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays this cute vintage project!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fun little box - I love it! I might have to try something similar in my new craft room. Thanks for sharing at Show and Tell on SNAP!

    xoxo, Tauni

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another WOW project from you. Thank you for linking it up at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com (and thank you so much for linking back to it from your post _ so refreshing, such politeness!!!) Hope to see you again later today with something else fabulous!! ~ Rose

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is really great, I love vintage 40's and 50's art work. It makes a great sewing box. I never bent the needles, but I did start my machine on fire a few years ago. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. E' stupenda questa scatola, la adoro! Bravissima!!!!
    A presto!

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate your thoughts and comments, so please feel free to write as much as you want. I will be answering all the comments directly from my email. Thank you very much for reading us. Erika