May 13, 2012

Vintage Train Station Box

One of my favorite things to do with decoupage is to create scenes by taking different images elements and put them together as a picture.   This is what I did with today’s project, a Vintage train station.


I like trains very much, and I´ve had the opportunity to travel in different ones. However in Panama at the moment we only count with 1 train, an Interoceanic train that runs from the Pacific to the Atlantic in 1 hour, and the scenery you get to see in this ride is beautiful, and I thought a train project would be nice.  Here is the before and after:


The box was a tobacco box I got at a local tobacco store and used the standard decoupage procedure to transform it.  
To read the standard decoupage step by step we follow, please click here

 
The images were taken from two different books of Dover Publications, one book about fashion history (for the ladies and gentleman in the front), and one book of vintage advertisement of the early 1800’s (for the train, the station and the luggage).

The station had no name, and I invented one “Penny Station” and added the text to the image before printing it.  


To complement the scene, I added some vintage train tickets.


For the inside of the box, I went with more vintage tickets.


Also added some clear stamps and painted the box border in black.

 
For the final touches, I painted the front scene of the box with a soft brown, and worked some shadows to the floor, and made some clouds in the same color, and a burned dark brown edge around the box.  


Once everything was ready and dry, varnish, varnish and more varnish.  To read the standard decoupage procedure we use, please click here.  

I enjoyed very much putting this scene together and it’s lovely right? 

Every week we have the honor to participate and share our projects in awesome parties, please visit them and see what talented artists and crafters are creating:

Monday:  Brag Monday – The graphics Fairy  / Vintage style link party – Debbiedoo's 
Market yourself -
Sumo's Sweet Stuff  / Link party - The Girl Creative
Making Monday marvelous - C.R.A.F.T. / Boggieboard Cottage - Masterpiece Monday
Mod Mix Monday - Mod Vintage Life  Meet me Monday - You're Talking Too Much 
Tuesday: Get your craft on – Today'screative blog / Knick of Time tuesday - Knick of Time / Tell it to me Tuesday - Creatively Living / Tutorials & Tips Link Party - Home Stories A2Z   / Cowgirl up Linky Party – Cedar Hill Ranch /Tuesday’s Treasures - My UnCommon Slice of Suburbia /Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday - Kammy's Korner / Be inspired link party – Elizabeth & Co /Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesday   / Domestically Speaking - Power of Paint Party  / Take the Time to Challenge - Raising 4 Princesses / Turning the Daunting into the Do-Able - Project Queen
One project at a Time - A Bowl Full of Lemons / Linking Pary - Passionatelyl Artistic
Wednesday: Wow us Wednesdays – Savvysouthern style / Primp your stuff Wednesday – Primp / White Wednesday - Faded Charm / Share the love - Very Merry Vintage Style / It's a Party - DIY by Design  /Whatever goes Wednesday - Someday Crafts / What is it Wednesday - Ivy and Elephants / Whatever you want Wednesday - Free Pretty Things for You / Wicked Awesome Wednesday – Handy man, crafty woman
Thursday: Catch as Catch Can – MyRepurposed life / Open House Party - No MinimalistHere /Vintage Inspiration - Common Ground / Hookin' up with - House of Hepworths/Time Travel Thrusday - Brambleberry Cottage / 20 Below Thrusday - Cristinas Adventures / Home and Garden Thrusday - A Delightsome Life / Treasure Hunt Thursday – From my front porch to yours
Friday: Frugal Friday – The Shabby Nest / Weekend Bloggy Reading – Serenity Now
Inspirational Friday – At the picket Fence / Do something Crafty - See Vanessa Craft
Friday feature - Redoux Interiors  
Saturday: Spotlight Saturday - Classy Clutter / Show and Tell Saturday – Be Different act Normal/Site Nite special -  Funky Junk Interiors / Get schooled Saturday – Too much time on my hands
Sunday: What's Your Sunday's Best! - My 1929 Charmer / Weekend features – Sisters of the Wild West / Simply Klassic Sunday - Simply Klassic Home / Creative Bloggers's Party & Hop - Homemaker on a Dime / DIY Project Parade – DIY showoff

Thank you,

Enjoy your day!

Erika   

22 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this idea! I was just thinking about decoupaging some boxes. I'll definitely keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found 2 old cigar boxes at the thrift shop and this gives me a great idea! Love the old images - fabulous!
    Happy to be following.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Your decoupage turned out lovely. Love the old tickets, too. :-) Found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party and am now following. Hope you have a terrific week!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I really love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came over from the Newbie Party. Don't you just love Dover Press and the Graphics Fairy? My favorite items were the train tickets. Great job!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 15, 2012

    Ooohhh Erika... great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 15, 2012

    Great job Erika... wonderfull work!
    MARVELOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was on distressed donna site (found her for the very first time via graphics fairy) and somehow saw your link and found my way here. The name of your blog caught my eye since I speak French and I love all things French. You have a fabulous blog! I am blown away by the composition of images on your cigar box. I have lots of images but when I try to decoupage, it never seems to be well arranged like yours! I also am grateful for the wonderful images you have shared here 9especially the perfume labels! Thank you so much for your generosity. I will be coming by often now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rupa, I was not able to reply to you by email as the other comments, therefore I am answring you here. Thank you very much for your comments on both projects, it really means a lot to me, and I feel all those nights I stayed up late has been worth. Thank you very much. I also love french things, I do speak french little bit but I am affraid I am forgetting it. Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  9. What a work of art. Love the vintage look you gave the box. So cute!
    I'm a new follower and hope you'll stop by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all the vintage images you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with this simple cigar box. Very nice. I am a big fan of decoupaging and have a done a few things. I wish I had your flare for picking vintage images. I found you through From My Front Porch to Yours. I'm your latest follower and a fellow newbie. I hope you'll pop over to my place sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is totally fabulous! I love that you even made the inside beautiful!

    Thanks for sharing it at Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your creation is wonderful. Creating an image story is such a good idea. Everything works so well together and draws one into the scene. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a wonderful box. And a great idea! My son loves trains. I would love to make something like this for him to hold his keepsakes in! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! My grandson and father love trains, they would go crazy over this. Love it.

    Visiting from Simple Klassic Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really is a lovely scene! You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did such an awesome job on this cigar box that I just had to join your site. I don't want to miss a thing! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome box! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so clever and creative. Love the way you put it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Erika, This is quite lovely! I love the use of the vintage graphic with the antique train tickets - very, very creative. I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday - I will be featuring your post in tonight's post.
    Thank you,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. But сell phοne bear in mind thаt soсіal network&#1110ng
    site members mаy not take on sеrvice that will tell
    you up fгont ab&#959ut the&#1110r charges.

    Mу web sіtе: dien thoai

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate your thoughts and comments, so please feel free to write as much as you want. I will be answering all the comments directly from my email. Thank you very much for reading us. Erika