May 20, 2012

Decorating a boring organizer with a Vintage inspired Collage

I like to keep handy the tags and business cards of our workshop using an organizer that I carry with me in my purse, so I found a small organizer for only 2.99 at a local store, it had many compartments and the size was perfect, but it had one downside “it was boring”…  

Then I thought, well I like to decoupage so why not do it with my organizer, and so I did, and decorated it by making a Collage with several vintage cuts and papers. Here it is the finished work on the front side: 


And here it is back side:


This is how it looked before:


The materials I used for this project are:

Materials:
  • Mini organizer
  • Liquid Gesso
  • ModPodge
  •  Acrylic Paints, Brushes & Scissors
  • One step Crackle
  •  Vintage images & papers in different sizes
The easy step by step is:

1.  The organizer had some carved lines in it, and I wanted to fill them to make the surface even, so I applied liquid Gesso as the first step.

2.  Print the images and background papers, seal them, cut them and plan their distribution on the organizer.

3.  Glue the background papers and images to the organizer with ModPodge according to your design.

4.  Once it is all dry apply one coat of crackle and wait the right time indicated by the manufacturer.  I wanted the surface to have small cracks, not too much, just for a little bit of aging and it is only visible very slightly.

5.  Apply 2 coats of ModPodge to the whole project to seal it and protect it, and hurray! you are done. 


Sometimes it is difficult to find exactly what we are looking for in terms of “how it looks”, so I propose we just redecorate them in our own way.  



Now I have a nice organizer to put my business cards, and it looks just as vintage inspired as I wanted.  


Every week we have the honor and pleasure to participate and share our projects in awesome parties, please visit them and see what talented artists and crafters are creating.  They are not in a particular order, just from the oldest I found till the newest:

Monday:   
Brag Monday @ The graphics Fairy  
Vintage style link party @ Debbiedoo's 
Market yourself @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff  
Link party @ The Girl Creative 
Making Monday marvelous @ C.R.A.F.T.  
Boggieboard Cottage @ Masterpiece Monday 
Mod Mix Monday @ Mod Vintage Life  
Meet me Monday @ You're Talking Too Much
Calling All Crafters Monday @ All Things Fee  
CraftOmaniac Monday @ CraftO Maniac 
More the Merrier Monday @ DIY Home Sweet Home  
Make-it-Yourself Monday @ An Original belle 
Amaze me Monday @  Dittle Dattle

Tuesday:
Get your craft on @ Today'screative blog 
Knick of Time tuesday @ Knick of Time 
Tell it to me Tuesday @ Creatively Living 
Tutorials & Tips Link Party @ Home Stories A2Z  
Cowgirl up Linky Party @ Cedar Hill Ranch 
Tuesday’s Treasures @ My UnCommon Slice of Suburbia
Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday @ Kammy's Korner 
Be inspired link party @ Elizabeth & Co
Coastal Charm @ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday 
Domestically Speaking @ Power of Paint Party 
Take the Time to Challenge @ Raising 4 Princesses 
Turning the Daunting into the Do-Able @ Project Queen
One project at a Time @ A Bowl Full of Lemons
Linking Pary @ Passionately Artistic
Take a look Tuesday @ SugarBee crafts 

Wednesday:
Wow us Wednesdays @ Savvysouthern style 
Primp your stuff Wednesday @ Primp
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm 
Share the love @ Very Merry Vintage Style
It's a Party @ DIY by Design 
Whatever goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts 
What is it Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants 
Whatever you want Wednesday @ Free Pretty Things for You
Wicked Awesome Wednesday @ Handy man, crafty woman 
Show & Share @ Southern Lovely 
Show and Tell @ SNAP 
It's a Party @ CreativePrincess

Thursday:
Catch as Catch Can @ MyRepurposed life 
Open House Party @ No MinimalistHere
Vintage Inspiration @ Common Ground 
Hookin' up with @ House of Hepworths
Time Travel Thrusday @ Brambleberry Cottage 
20 Below Thrusday @ Cristinas Adventures
Home and Garden Thrusday @ A Delightsome Life 
Made you Look @ Maid in a Day 
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From my front porch to yours 
Thrifty Thursday @ Saved byLove Creations
Show off your stuff party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans

Friday:
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest 
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now 
Inspirational Friday @ At the picket Fence 
Do something Crafty @ See Vanessa Craft
Friday feature @ Redoux Interiors 
Once upon a Weekend @ Family Ever After
Friday Fun Party @ Craftionary 
Finished Lit and Laundry for Friday @ Lit and Laundry
Feature yourself Friday @ Finger Prints on the Fridge 
Look at Me I'm so Crafty @  Fun to Craft
It's a Hodgepodge Friday @ It's a Hodgepodge life 
Friday Flair @ WhipperBerry
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff& Nonsense 
Simply Link Party @ SimplyDesigning
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage   
Happy Hour Friday @ Happy Hour Projects  

Saturday:
Spotlight Saturday @ Classy Clutter 
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different act Normal
Site Nite special @  Funky Junk Interiors 
Get schooled Saturday @ Too much time on my hands
Scrappy Saturday @ CandaceCreations
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Check me out Saturday @ Iam only 1 Woman 
Serenity Saturday @ - Serenity You
Saturday Seven Party @ Positively Splendid 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday @ Six Sisters' Stuff
Saturday Showcase @ Bowdabra Blog 

Sunday:
What's Your Sunday's Best! @ My 1929 Charmer 
Weekend features @ Sisters of the Wild West
Simply Klassic Sunday @ Simply Klassic Home 
Sundae Scoop @ I (Heart)Nap Time
DIY Project Parade @ DIY showoff 
The Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table andDreaming 
Creative Bloggers's Party & Hop @ Homemaker on a Dime
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things

Thank you,

Have a great week!
 
Erika   

20 comments:

  1. It's amazing how lovely this turned out! It depicts your individuality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see how everyday things are turned into works of art. You must get a lot of compliments when you pull that out of your purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative idea. I love mod podge. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how this turned out! I bet you get asked where you bought your organizer, right? It looks great! (Found you via the newbie blog party at Debbiedoos!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I create vintage collages. too. I am planning to drag my boring business card case out to decorate - great idea!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Great idea, you did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So smart to make this personal and to use collage as a decorative element for something you felt was boring. I bet you had fun doing it too. Collages are such a great way to show personality. I think you get a real feel for someone through what they put into a collage. I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll stop and see me at Quirky Vistas.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! Makes using that organizer so much fun.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! It turned out amazing Erika! A lot of work but well worth it. Thanx for coming to party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an inspiration this post is! Your method could apply to a lot of useful but boring items.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you at Classy Clutter and just had to stop by and say this looks great. Love the vintage feel to the decoupage !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! How lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another really great project! I love it!

    Thanks for sharing it!
    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boring no More. Great project, I love your choices in paper. I am a first time visitor I came over from 1929 Charmer, drop by for a visit. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! I love the images you chose and the way you put them together! Hard to say if I like the back better or the front, tough choice...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not boring anymore - really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the new look Thanks for linking up to STL Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have just made something ordinary - very, very extraordinary! I am so amazed - and inspired! This is so beautiful! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday...
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate your thoughts and comments, so please feel free to write as much as you want. I will be answering all the comments directly from my email. Thank you very much for reading us. Erika